SettingSteel SpearGear

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spearfishing Elliot Key





What a difference a day to day can make in Miami! Today we headed out of Elliot Key on another spearfishing adventure, rather skeptical I may add, as the weather called for winds under 6, and seas under a foot, but then that was the forecast yesterday too. Fortunately the weather did cooperate, as did the Sea Gods, and yes even the fish.

8am saw us at Bayfront Marina ready to board Eric & Sean's (father and son team) Contender (those boats are just off the chain- what a ride!) for a sweet day at sea spearfishing the patch reefs off Elliot.

As we drove out we were met with some pristine conditions, seas under a foot wind under 5, bright day, water tempt in the mid-hi 70's (would have been comfy in a 1.5) minimal current, and viz, hmmm well viz was decent in most spots with some areas close to T-B, not to bad considering its been blowing pretty harsh for the past week. the ocean was packed with boaters and surprisingly quite a few spearo's at one time we counted 15 boats in a given area half of which were flying dive flags. Although the sea was busy our skipper (Eric) did a stand-up job taking care of his crew, and running that 'Tender like a doggy on a chain- hats off to'ya' Eric!Ok, well on to the Elliot Key Spearfishing report, aside from the patch reefs, we also spearfished some huge plates one of which produced a nice 24" hog for Sean, quite a nice christening for his new Mako speargun...WTG Sean!



We also spearfished some decent Elliot Key finger ridges that we pulled some hogs and a nice toad red for Donny, Brian also nailed a couple of hogfish snapper including an 18", he also had a Mega Spanish Flash&Wizz him, ahhh maybe next time it'll be a spearfishing different story for this here blog. I also hawked a decent 19" flounder (yep a flounder) that was under my nose!

After we had our fix of reef hunting the Elliot patches we decided what the hell lets make a run to the blue, so off to some bluewater spearfishing, was the next course of action, everyone got busy with notions of 70# wahoo's and spearing some mahi's, unfortunately we found neither birds, nor structure, but the Skipper did put us on some baitballs, so that idea was short lived (but not forgotten)...back off we went to one of the crews secret spearfishing spot, I guess the best I could describe it is some deep crevices resembling finger channels.





This place was teaming with fish, fortunately for them the viz was about 5-6' and the current was ripping (it actually started to pick up about 2'ish). Brian in one drift saw 2 huge muttons, that wanted nothing to do with him...as I was doing my spearfishing drift I saw a nice mango dart under a ledge and then dart out, this could only mean one thing so I swam down for a closer look. As I poked a peek under I saw a huge tail of what I thought was a parrot fish (being it was pressed up under this ledge) then I saw that telltale spot and knew (oddly enough it was a Mut so I took an off shot on the bottom of my time)...that beast busted a chomp and tore of....bitter would be an understatement, so I was a cursing, and bitching and pulling up my spearshaft when all a sudden I feel this thump, thump....so I haul down and low and behold on the end of my shaft was a 24" black that apparently was behind the mut! so I nailed a mut and a black with one shot, landed the black....but wait the story continues.....

So by the time I get the black strung up I was about a 1/4 mile from the area (remember ripping current) and knew there was no way I was gonna swim back and get that mut I had mortally injured....so I continue my drift- Skipper goes on to pick up the crew and then in the distance I see Donny smilin' from ear to ear holding up a rather familiar mutton snapper! Apparently Donny (aka wingman ninja) was drifting behind me and bumped into the same mutton snapper with half his guts hangin' out, and took a shot at him, with that ripping current and spined him at 10'......saweeeeeet....thats what you call unplanned tag teamin'.....and not what one would call a story about "The One That Got Away"!


Till next spearfishing report, tight bands, straight shafts, and smooooooooth triggers!

Tone
http://www.settingsteelspeargear.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment