SettingSteel SpearGear

Monday, March 30, 2009

Miami spearfishing spots, Miami spearfishing spots...

Everybody's looking for spots in Miami to spearfish...and everyone thinks there are no spearfishing spots left in Miami....Does Miami still have good spearfishing spots? I say absolutely YES! One area I frequent that always produces some nice fish are the patch reefs around Key Biscayne, thats right, great spearfishing spots right in Miami....ok, ok kinda vague, how about lining up with the old Sonesta Hotel in Key Biscayne and heading out about a couple of miles...all those patch reefs in that area hold fish, and one can easily paddle a kayak and spearfish this Miami area, and probably spearfish a cooler full of fish in a day! Like I did today.

Yep this day was just too good to pass up, so I headed out solo on the "Run&Gun" to my "secret" Miami spearfishing spots. I headed out of Key Biscayne Marina, through Bear Cut and swung South about a mile thats around where the first patch reefs start and they are often overlooked due to their close proximity to land...these "patchy" reefs are always loaded with hog snapper and this first Miami spearfishing spot did not disappoint with to practically identical 16" Hogfish...vis was quite murky, under 6' in 20' of water, wind was under 2mph, as was the waves...water was warm in my 3mm, but probably would have been comfy in a 1.5mm, sun was high so that helped...off to my next Miami spearfishing spot, or should I say Key Biscayne spearfishing area as this spot is a pretty huge area of piled up rubble that has formed a kinda reef...here's another freebee its about right in front of that building on Key Biscayne that looks like an Aztec temple (or at least thats what we call it)....first drop hawked a nice 24" red, marked the spot and continued roaming the rubble piles ( about 4 of them each about 50' apart)
saw a keeper mutton snapper and let the arrow fly about 10' away, stoned, with my Bubinga carbon custom speargun...and were did I spearfish said mutton? Indeed in my second Miami spearfishing spot, shot 2 more hogs before revisiting the red grouper, which I thought about shooting, but decided to pass (don't ask me why???)...well after jumping back on the ski, I decided to hit one last spearfishing spot that is about 2 miles from that second Miami spearfishing spot, its in about 40-45' water and has what I call some "finger channels" that always hold a nice black grouper, grey snapper and a mutton here or there...well the third Miami spearfishing spot did not disappoint either, on my first drop the "mango train" came in for a curious visit shot 2 (15" and 18") before they wised up! so there you have it 3 Miami spearfishing spots ( or Key Biscayne spearfishing spots, depending what part of town your from) all hit in about 3 hours all with fish in the house (true not stellar trophies) making a great trip and dinner all in my backyard.

Till next spearfishing report, tight bands, straight shafts, and smooooooooth triggers!

Tone
http://www.settingsteelspeargear.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment