SettingSteel SpearGear

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spearfishing Trip Elliot Key

WoW its been awhile since I've posted...been kinda busy filling orders for my Miami made custom spearguns and dive bags. We headed out of Elliot (3/12/09 I know late report) and were met with some nippy water mid 70's and some mellow 2-3's wind was outa the E about 10mph....vis was varied some places top to bottom others 15-20'. We dove a few patch reefs and some plates out to 50'.

Fish were in the house, and it seems hogfish are starting their courtship (perhaps a bit early). The first drop I decided to "test drive" one of my Miami custom spearguns (I know I need a name for my spearguns), which I normally do prior to selling just to make sure its ballasted correctly and of course shootin' straight. These spearguns are a bit tricky in that the profile is quite thin, in fact its probably the thinest, most hydrodynamic custom made teak speargun on the market today. I've attained these mimimal dimensions by placing carbon fiber within the spearguns build, the carbon fiber strengthens the speargun allowing for a very thin dimension, which equates to a very hydrodymic speargun design, so yes, these spearguns cut through the water like a knife, they track fast and having an enclosed track makes them lasers, out to 20+ feet.

Ok so the first drop was incredible the reef was full of fish and my gun was a balance beam, the best thing about making a custom speargun is that it does what its suppose to do incredibly well, whens its made right...that first drop produced 6 hogs and a red!



The next few drops got us a bunch of reef denizens ranging from muts, to porgies to go's and a few other nice hogfish snapper up to 24" (the hog next to him is 14") and my Miami custom speargun did not dissappoint as you can see from the shot placements...more to come!




Till next spearfishing report, tight bands, straight shafts, and smooooooooth triggers!

Tone
http://www.settingsteelspeargear.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment