SettingSteel SpearGear

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Elliot Key spearfishing (short report)

Headed out for a very short run outa Miami's Elliot Key for some spearfishing and more R&R (Repeatability and Reliability)on the carbon fiber pole spear.

Woke up yesterday for some pool R&R on the new carbon fiber pole spear we've been prototyping, as I had mentioned in the previous post, the pole is ready to be part of our line of spearfishing gear, but being the nitpicker I wanted to get some more "controlled" values in the pool...and as I was about to start I noticed my primary weather marker, yep when this baby looks like this



I need to check a bit further with this













take a closer look

yep when this bamboo is sitting that still its time to go Set some Steel! It just happen to be, as the thought was running through my mind, I get a text from the Squirrel (my son, not exactly a squirrel anymore) to check on, yeah you guess it, the bamboo, and he added he was off work today...so as tough decisions, are as they are, I was left with no choice but to pack up the Whaler and take my R&R to the sea. We where headed outa Homestead marina at high noon.
Our first drop 3 Humps an Elliot spearfishing waypont was met with an empty house. Water has cooled significantly, vis was pretty bad, soupy less than 10 feet, no worries as I had the pole...our next spot was a place I discovered last time spearfishing out of Sands Cut another excellent waypoint that had a few bugs, hogs and a nice mutton...pulled in nice and easy slipped the claw in the water and followed right behind, a few hogs where around and the Squirrel wasted no time skewering a nice 18"er, as I patiently waited...and in the shadows I saw him lingering. As he headed towards the comotion, I circled around knowing the Squirrel would freak out and cause him to ultimately freak out too- and swim straight towards me...and it played out, just like that! Had a nice quartering shot, and after a slight hustle I had a 21" pole speared Miami Elliot Key mutton snapper on the stringer-gotta say this pole spear is furiously fast, hits like a sledgehammer too! We hunted the area for about an hour got a couple of more hogs and 3 bugs, then headed in. All in all a nice short 2 hours of work (remeber R&R;)...hopefully this nice weather will continue and we go out again soon, with a fully charged battery.

[edit-Note to self, have camera fully charged]

Till next spearfishing report, tight bands, straight shafts, and smooooooooth triggers!

Tone


No comments:

Post a Comment